Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hexagon top finished

Finally, my hexagon top is complete!

It took longer than I'd anticipated, but I LOVE it.  Although I originally hoped to have the lighter brown fabric separating the hexies both vertically and horizontally, I think this compromise acheived the funky look I wanted, without requiring any Y-piecing.  I'm really proud of this little top.

I used the "measure once, cut twice" method for the dark brown around each hexie, which means I cut my fabric strips too long, then sewed them on and trimmed them up before joining everything together.  I haven't done a lot of angled seams before so this was a good (but time-consuming) way for me to make sure I didn't end up with mismatched edges.  This backlit picture shows the seams so you can get an idea of how I constructed everything.

I'm not quite ready to start quilting this yet - I think I'll just enjoy it as a top for a few days, while I work on some other projects that have been kicking around in my head.  Besides, I have no idea what to use for the back.  Any suggestions? 



  1. OMG! This looks fabulous!!! The hexagons "pop" out so well and I love how each one is bordered in the dark brown. As to the back, I would probably make some coin strips out of the left overs along with the dark brown fabric.

  2. I love it! It looks like rick-rack! Great job!

  3. larissa it look beautiful!!! congrats on a job well done!

  4. Great looking quilt. I love the look of this with the dark & light browns. I also like how you used all the solids. I'd love to know how you put it all together.

  5. Really, really, really, really wonderful! What a beautiful top! I think I'll keep a pic of it up all day so I can get a quick hit of happy every time I walk past the computer. Congrats!!

  6. I'm loving this quilt! It's so fresh and funky -- great job! You've inspired me.